I had a hunkering for coconut and found this recipe on pinterest (don't you just love pinterest?). I, for once in my life, made the recipe EXACTLY as it is written. It was incredibly coconutty, and positively divine. A coconut lovers dream. And folks are STILL raving about this cake. This is an absolute keeper. And pretty simple too!
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Shamelessly stolen from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/incredible-coconut-cake/print#ixzz3VzhFVoZl